Jun 16, 2024  
2022-2023 Southeastern University - Graduate Catalog 
2022-2023 Southeastern University - Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Appeal and Complaint Policy

Southeastern University has instituted the following procedures for student complaints and adheres to these procedures. Students (traditional, evening, online, and graduate) are free to submit written complaints and appeals. Appeals and complaints are dealt with fairly and judiciously on a case-by-case basis. Students have the right of complaint and appeal in the following instances: 

Transfer Credit Appeals

Transfer students have the right to appeal transfer credit decisions made by the Office of the Registrar. The student must write a letter of appeal accompanied by any additional documentation requested by the Office of the Registrar. The appeal will be reviewed by the appropriate academic department chair/college dean with additional documentation and the student will be notified of the decision rendered.

Course Appeals

A student who has an unresolved issue in a course, after attempting to resolve the issue with the professor, may appeal to the Program Coordinator or Dean of the discipline of the course. If the student is unable to meet with the Coordinator or Dean, he or she may meet with the Registrar to receive assistance in bringing a resolution.

Advising/Registration/Degree Completion

A student who has an unresolved issue and has not received satisfactory answers from their assigned Faculty Academic Advisor related to degree completion, transfer of credit, advising questions or non-response, may appeal to the Director of Academic Advising. A meeting appointment will be set up promptly to consider the student’s unresolved issues, with the goal of successful degree completion. If the issue is still unresolved following the meeting with the Director of Academic Advising, the student may appeal to the Associate Provost for a resolution.

 Appeal of Academic Suspension

A student may appeal an academic suspension to the Academic Progress Committee if there are valid extenuating circumstances that contributed to the poor academic performance. The student must submit a written appeal with supporting documentation addressed to the Academic Progress Committee Chairperson in care of the Registrar within one week of notice of pending suspension. If the appeal is granted, the student will be allowed to continue enrollment without a period of suspension or will be readmitted after the student has completed a period of suspension. The student must agree to a set of conditions that must be met until the student has successfully raised the G.P.A. to the minimum of 2.0. If the student fails to meet one or more of the conditions, a dismissal notice will be issued. 

Late Registration

Late registration after the deadline is permitted only by the permission of the Registrar and requires a written appeal.

Grades and Quality Points

Students who wish to appeal a grade must do so within the immediate succeeding semester. Otherwise, the recorded grade is permanent and can be changed only by repeating the course.  Students petitioning for a grade change should first contact the instructor of record, followed by the Department Chair over the course if the instructor and the student are not in agreement.

Non-Academic Student Complaint/Appeal Process

Students with a complaint or problem concerning student life that is non-academic in nature should go to the Resident Director or the Office of Student Development. Financial problems, questions and issues regarding student accounts should be addressed in Student Financial Services. Student complaints and appeals will be addressed promptly. Requests for problem resolution may be submitted in writing. Students are welcome to visit the Retention Coordinator to get help with solving issues, including financial, residential, or academic when the student is unsure of where to go for a resolution.

Student Disciplinary Appeal Process

A student may appeal a disciplinary action taken against him or her according to the following protocol: 

Discipline action:                                                      Appeal to: 

  • Level One infraction                                         Area Coordinator (AC) 
  • Decision of Area Coordinator                           Covenant Council (CC) 
  • Decision of Covenant Council                          Student Development Administrator 

The student must make all appeals in writing to the appropriate office within 24 hours of receiving disciplinary notification. All decisions of the Student Development administrator are final and there shall be no subsequent appeals.

Please refer to the link on Extended Education Complaint Policies for more information, or specific questions for extended education programs.

Academic Integrity - Early Alert Program Appeal Process

When there is an instance of academic dishonesty, students will be referred to the Academic Center for Enrichment for plagiarism avoidance counseling, and the student will be required to complete the Academic Integrity course in My Fire (if the plagiarism was a level 2 or higher).  In the event a student desires to be removed from the course, or to appeal the outcome of the course, the following must be completed:

  1.  The student must write a letter of appeal to the Academic Intervention Committee stating reasons as to why they want to be removed from the Academic Integrity course and/or not incur a Z grade on their transcript.  Students will deliver or e-mail the letter of appeal to the program coordinator.
  2. The appeal will be reviewed by the Academic Intervention Committee.
  3. The student will be notified with committee’s decision. All decisions of the committee are final.


General Complaint Policy for Extension Site and Out of State Students 


Any general complaints and appeals, not outlined explicitly in the University’s Complaint & Appeal Policy should be directed to the Dean of Academic & Extension Operations, including concerns related to academic coursework and faculty, technology, and other aspects of the student experience. Please direct all such concerns to SiteSupport@seu.edu.

Out-of-state (i.e., non-Florida) distance education students who are not satisfied with the institution’s response should follow the steps outlined in the State-Specific Complaint Policies. Students enrolled in face-to-face courses at locations other than the main campus should refer to the state-specific complaint policies below. Out-of-state (i.e., non-Florida) distance education students must first follow the institution’s complaint procedure as outlined above. If the student is not satisfied with the response, the student may file a complaint with the Office of Articulation within the Florida Department of Education at 325 West Gaines Street, Room 701, Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0400, Phone: 850-245-0427, Fax: 850-245-9010 or articulation@fldoe.org The complaint should include the following:

  1. Name of Student (or Complainant)
  2. Complainant Address
  3. Phone Number
  4. Name of Institution
  5. Location of the Institution (City)
  6. Dates of Attendance
  7. A full description of the problem and any other documentation that will support your claim such as enrollment agreements, correspondence, etc.

Students who have completed the internal institutional grievance process and the applicable state grievance process may appeal non-instructional complaints to the FL-SARA PRDEC Council. For additional information on the complaint process, please visit the FL-SARA Complaint Process page.


State-Specific Complaint Policies

Listed below are additional complaint policies for the unrestricted education programs categorized by states.


In Alabama, the Private School Licensure Division has the authority to investigate student complaints against licensed private postsecondary institutions.  Students are required to complete their institution’s grievance/complaint procedure prior to submitting a complaint to the Division.  If the institution’s resolution is not satisfactory, a student may then submit a complaint to the Division.

Complaints regarding Federal Student Aid should be addressed to the U.S. Department of Education.

The Private School Licensure complaint procedures are designed to address issues of non-compliance with Alabama Private School License rules and regulations. The procedures are not intended to be used in disputes or matters pertaining to a student’s admission to or graduation from an institution or academic issues including grades, academic sanctions, transferability of credits, and/or disciplinary/conduct matters unless the student can provide documentation that the institution did not follow its published policies and procedures.

The Private School Licensure Division will not accept a complaint which is anonymous or in which the student has retained legal counsel or began legal action.

Students must submit a complaint to the Private School Licensure Division within one year of exhausting the grievance policy with the institution unless there are mitigating circumstances, which prevent the student from doing so.



  • The student must submit the complaint in writing using the following link: https://psl.asc.edu/External/Complaints.aspx or by using the complaint form in the quick link’s section.  The student complaint must contain a detailed description of the claim, including dates, times, and full names of all involved, as well as a timeline of action taken by both the student and the school to resolved the matter.
  • The Division will contact the institution regarding the complaint within30 days of receipt.
  • The institution will have 30 days to provide a written response that may or may not contain a resolution.
  • A report or letter will be provided to the institution and student detailing corrective action, if any is necessary, or stating that the school has no violation of private school licensure policies or procedures if no violations are determined.
  • If corrective action is needed the institution will have 30 days to comply or develop a plan to comply with the corrective action.
  • If the institution does not comply with the corrective action the institution’s Private School License may be suspended or revoked.

In accordance with state law, the Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education is responsible for investigating student complaints against Educational institutions licensed by this Board. Pursuant to Arizona Administrative Code Rule R4-39-403, the complaint procedure is stated as follows: If the student complaint cannot be resolved after exhausting the Institution’s grievance procedure, the student may file a complaint with the Arizona State Board for Private Post-Secondary Education. The student must contact the State Board for further details.  The State Board address is: 1740 West Adams, Suite 3008, Phoenix, AZ 85007. Phone: 602/542-5709. Website: ppse.az.gov/complaint


A student or any member of the public may file a complaint about this institution at any time with the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education by calling 1 (888) 370-7589 or by completing a complaint form, which can be obtained on the bureau’s internet Web site, www.bppe.ca.gov. For more information go to the Bureau website.


Students can file complaints with the Hawaii Post-secondary Education Authorization Program, after all other resources have been exhausted. For more information on how to file a complaint go to the state website.


Students who wish to file a complaint with the Illinois Board of Higher Education may go to the state website or Institutional Complaint Hotline: (217) 557-7359

Illinois Board of Higher Education
1 N. Old State Capitol Plaza, Suite 333
Springfield, Illinois 62701-1377
Phone: (217) 782-2551
Fax: (217) 782-8548
TTY:  (888) 261-2881


To file a complaint against a Kentucky postsecondary institution, please write a letter to the address below or submit your complaint via cpe.ky.gov/campuses/consumer_complaint and include the following information:

  • Name of student (or complainant)

  • Complainant address

  • Email address

  • Phone number

  • Name of institution

  • Location of institution (city)

  • Dates of attendance

  • A full description of the problem, any relevant documentation that will support the complaint such as correspondence, and the desired outcome.

Mailing Address: Institutional Complaints Council on Postsecondary Education, 1024 Capital Center Drive, Suite 320, Frankfort, KY 40601.


The Louisiana Board of Regents will refer student complaints to the appropriate entity. Louisiana Board of Regents telephone (225) 342-4253. If the complaint pertains to potential violations of consumer protection, Board of Regents staff will direct the complainant to: Consumer Protection Division, (800) 351-4889. If the complaint discerns discrimination, the Board of Regents will refer the complainant to: Office for Civil Rights, Dallas office, U.S. DOE, (214)661-9600 or via email to: OCR.Dallas@ed.gov


Students who wish to file a complaint with the Maryland Higher Education Commission may go to the state website.


Students should first file their complaints at the institution where they are enrolled. If after following proper policy and procedures for appeals, the complaint has not been resolved, then contact the Minnesota Office of Higher Education, 1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350, St. Paul, MN 55108, telephone: 651-259-3975 or 1-800-657-3866 or secure fax 651-797-1664, email: betsy.talbot@state.mn.us.  Website: https://www.ohe.state.mn.us


For more information on how to file complaints with the Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning go to the state website.


More information, including complaint forms, is available at the state website. Or contact: Commission on Postsecondary Education, 2800 E. St. Louis Avenue, Las Vegas, NV 89104, (PH) 702-486-7330.

North Carolina

If you were unable to resolve a complaint through the institution’s grievance procedures, you can submit your complaint electronically by using the Student Complaint Form  or you can mail all relevant information and supporting documentation regarding your complaint to the:


North Carolina Office of Post-Secondary Education Complaints,

C/o Student Complaints,

910 Raleigh Rd.,

Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688.


If you have questions about this process, you may email Studentcomplaints.northcarolina.edu.


To file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Division of the North Carolina Department of Justice, please visit the State Attorney General’s web page. North Carolina residents may call (877) 566-7226. If you live outside of North Carolina, please call (919) 716-6000.

If you choose to mail a complaint, please use the following address:

Consumer Protection
Attorney General’s Office
Mail Service Center 9001
Raleigh, NC 27699-9001


For information on how to file a complaint with the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education, go to the state website.

South Carolina

If a student is currently living in South Carolina and is enrolled in the online learning program, please be informed of the following complaint policies in addition to the Extension Site Complaint Policy: The South Carolina Commission on Higher Education responds to formal complaints against public, independent non-profit and proprietary institutions of higher education in South Carolina. The Commission cannot review complaints related to course grades, academic sanctions, or discipline/conduct mats unless the student can prove that the institution did not comply with its policies and procedures for appeal. For further information on how to submit a complaint to the Commission go to the state website.

Mail form to:

Student Complaint, Academic Affairs
SC Commission on Higher Education
1122 Lady Street, Suite 300
Columbia, SC 29201

or email to: submitcomplaint@che.sc.gov.


Students should first file their complaints at the institution where they are enrolled. If the complaint has not been resolved by the institution, any person claiming damage or loss as a result of any act or practice by this institution that may be a violation of the Title 49, Chapter 7, Part 20 or Rule Chapter 1520-01-02 may file a complaint with the Tennessee Higher Education Commission (THEC), Division of Postsecondary State Authorization (DPSA). 312 Rosa L. Parks Ave., 9th Floor, Nashville, TN 37234-1102; telephone: 615-253-8857 or email: Julie.Woodruff@tn.gov


To file a complaint, follow the complaint procedures in the school’s catalog. If the issue is not resolved, contact either the Texas Workforce Commission’s Career School or the school’s accrediting agency. Unresolved grievances can be directed to Texas Workforce Commission Career Schools and Colleges, Room 226T, 101 East 15th Street, Austin, TX 78778, (512) 936-3100, http://www.twc.state.tx.us/partners/career-schools-colleges-resources.  If the school is not accredited by a recognized accreditor but has degree-granting authority, send a written complaint to the Coordinating Board at Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, Academic Affairs and Research, P.O. Box 12788, Austin, TX 78711. For more information go to the state website.


If a student is currently living in Virginia and is enrolled in the extension site program, please be informed of the following complaint policies in addition to the Extension Site Complaint Policy: As a last resort, students may submit their complaint to the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia. Students will not be subject to unfair action or treatment by any school official as a result of filing a complaint. Please contact SCHEV at (804) 371-2285 if you have any questions about the student complaint procedure.


The Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC) has the authority to investigate student complaints against specific schools. WSAC may not be able to investigate every student complaint.  Visit https://www.wsac.wa.gov/student-complaints for information regarding the WSAC complaint process.